my lo is 7mths nw. when he nurses, he likes to stick his thumb or fingers into his mouth to suck at the same time. i feel he sucks air in at the same time. the main thing is this hurts my nipple n i would pull his hand away. but he does this repeatedly at intervals. is this common? does it mean he does not want to nurse? any advice?

3 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Nursing and thumb-sucking are both "comforting" actions, maybe he just likes doing both at once! My daughter likes to suck from one breast and touch the other. Since it hurts though, you don't want to encourage the behaviour. You can keep pulling his hand away and if the message still doesn't get across you can look him in the eye, talk to him and say that he can't do it anymore because it hurts mummy. If you have to, stop letting him nurse whenever he does it. The important thing is to make him understand that it hurts mummy.

Read more

Promo terbesar expert care sudah dimulai, diskon hingga Rp.100.000 sedang berlangsung di shopee, ada juga voucher diskon 100% alias gratis bagi bunda yang beruntung. Buruan cek di https://shope.ee/9UfEMMqqTg (id-4928)

Is he teething? If he is, that probably the gums are feeling uncomfortable. Do get him teething toys or teething necklace might help. It's a phrase it probably will get over soon. Hang in there mommy.