Baby feeding time

I'm starting to get worried on my baby's feeding. She's going to be a month old in 3 days time. Started to feed baby 90mils of formula milk. At times i would mix bm with formula. She's been drinking half way through, have to force her to drink up the milk as per dr advise due to her weight from 1.8 dropped to 1715kg. As much as i want her to finish her milk, I can't help it. She's been rejecting milk after probaby around 50mils of intake while feeding. She's bottle fed since birth as she's been warded in High D ward for 2 weeks after birth. So after her 50mils intake, she doesn't want anymore of her milk, instead she kept on drinking abit, cried out loud and push the bottle out of her mouth. Any mommy experiencing the same issue?

3 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Hi there, It sounds like you're doing a fantastic job caring for your little one, especially given the challenges you've faced. Feeding issues can be a real worry, but you're not alone in this. First off, it’s great that you are monitoring your baby's intake and weight closely. Babies can sometimes have trouble finishing their bottles for various reasons, and it's important to understand that every baby is different. Here are some tips and suggestions that might help: 1. **Frequent, Smaller Feedings**: Instead of trying to get her to drink all 90ml at once, try feeding her smaller amounts more frequently. This can sometimes make it easier for babies with smaller tummies or those who get tired easily. 2. **Burping Breaks**: Sometimes, air trapped in the stomach can make babies feel full prematurely. Try burping her halfway through the feed and again at the end to see if that helps. 3. **Bottle and Nipple Type**: Make sure the bottle and nipple you are using are appropriate for her age. Some babies do better with a slower flow nipple to prevent them from feeling overwhelmed. 4. **Comfort and Positioning**: Ensure she is comfortable and well-supported while feeding. Sometimes a slight change in the angle can make a big difference. 5. **Check for Discomfort**: If she’s pushing the bottle out and crying, she might be experiencing some discomfort. Check for signs of reflux or gas. You can also try feeding her in an upright position. 6. **Breast Milk Enhancer**: To support her growth and ensure she's getting enough nutrients, you might consider a breast milk enhancer. It can help increase the quality and quantity of your breast milk, which could be beneficial when mixed with formula. You can find a good option [here](https://invl.io/cll7ha0). 7. **Consult Your Pediatrician**: Always keep in touch with your doctor regarding her progress. They might offer specific advice tailored to her needs and monitor her weight gain closely. You’re doing an amazing job by being attentive and seeking solutions. Remember, motherhood is a journey with its ups and downs, and it’s okay to reach out for help and support. Hang in there, and hopefully, with some tweaks, things will get smoother soon. Take care! https://invl.io/cll6she

Read more

Mine was like this. Always have to split into two feeds for one bottle. I just followed what she wants, if I make 90, she drinks 60 then I’ll leave the 30 and feed again 45mins-1 hour later. I don’t have a fixed feeding schedule, followed her cues (mostly 2-3hrly). Took awhile but she eventually grew out of it and managed to finish her milk in one go by 2.5m (small eater). Alternatively, check her teat size. She was struggling with size 1 but was ok with size 0 for mine (Avent).

Read more

my LO is like this too, she is 3 weeks old and I have to split the 90 mls, most times she will gulp down 50 mls and stop. I let her sleep or play for 30 min then try again and she usually has a bit more or finish the 90 mls.