Breast milk

I stopped expressing milk for two days due to fever, really can't wake up to pump. Is there possibilities that my breast milk has stopped due to the past two days of not expressing milk? I realised my nipples have already gone back to what it's supposed to be like before pregnancy.

3 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

It is completely normal to experience a decrease in milk supply when you stop expressing milk for a couple of days due to illness. Your body's milk production works on a supply and demand basis, so if you are not emptying your breasts regularly, it can signal to your body to produce less milk. However, it is important to note that this decrease is usually temporary and your milk supply can bounce back once you resume pumping or breastfeeding regularly. To help increase your milk supply again, you can try the following solutions: 1. Pump or breastfeed frequently, ideally every 2-3 hours, to signal your body to produce more milk. 2. Stay hydrated and eat a balanced diet rich in nutrients that support milk production. 3. Consider using a breast pump to help stimulate milk production and empty your breasts effectively. 4. Practice skin-to-skin contact with your baby, as this can also help stimulate milk production. Remember, the change in your nipple appearance is a common occurrence and does not necessarily mean that your milk supply has completely stopped. If you continue to have concerns about your milk supply or your baby's feeding, do not hesitate to reach out to a lactation consultant or healthcare provider for personalized support and guidance. https://invl.io/cll6she

Read more

There will still be milk since it’s only 2 days, just that due to the fever and no pumping, it will produce lesser milk (you can use your hands to lightly squeeze, you should be able to see the milk 😊).

Try doing power pumping if your body condition allows you to. It should be able to help boost up your milk supply again.