Can I give peanuts to my 2-year old?

5 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Pediatricians do not recommend babies to have nuts between 24 and 36 months if they have a family history of allergies or if the kid has food allergy. And in some cases, the age to have nuts may go up to even 7 years in the allergic babies. Otherwise, kids after 12 months can be introduced to nuts. And I happen to read that peanuts are not even nuts, they are legumes (grow on the ground not on the tree), and they are the ones who are blamed the most for causing allergies in kids. So, if your family has a history of allergies, do not introduce him to peanuts. Consult a doctor. http://wholesomebabyfood.momtastic.com/when-can-baby-have-nuts.htm

Read more

Doctors recommends to only allow peanuts to children after age of 5, due to choking hazards and also toddlers ate unable to digest peanuts. You may offer Peanut butter however Be careful not to give your toddler large dollops of peanut butter or other nut butters, which can be difficult to swallow. Instead, spread nut butter thinly on bread or crackers. You might want to try thinning it with some applesauce before spreading it.

Read more

Peanuts and almonds are good for the baby if you don't have a history of allergies to peanuts and the likes. In fact, the earlier you introduce legumes and nuts to kids, the lesser the chance of them getting allergies. However, be sure that you split them in two and remove the skin so that the child doesn't choke on it.

Read more

Due to allergy risks, alot of physicians recommend waiting till baby is a year old to give babies peanut butter. But for whole peanuts, I'd recommend an older age to prevent choking - maybe 4 or 5 years.

My baby is 1 year 4 months and he loves nuts. Just make sure he does not get choked with it.