2 year old tantrums

How do you calm your toddler down? My 2-year old son demands to get what he wants, when he wants, all the time. I guess that's the case to most toddlers but I'd say my boy's a bit different. If we say 'no' or if we ask him to wait, he'd throw things, cry aloud or lay down on the floor crying. We had him checked and he's completely healthy (no adhd or anything like that). Sometimes, I just feel so guilty as I also tend to lose my patience.

11 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
Thành viên VIP

when a kid turn 2, the whole world changed. emotions can be something very very over whelming to a two year old. what we meant by tantrum, is actually how they express themselves. also, they are mostly unable to verbalise well enough to express their feelings. my son don't take No at times, he will run and sit on the floor and cry. he knows it's not right to do that, but he can't control his emotions. and to me, that's ok! I let him cry and then ask him, why? he will looks at me puzzled at why he is feeling emotional. I will then walk towards him and squat next to him, hold his shoulders, look into his eyes and speak calmly. ask if he is feeling upset, and explain why he can't have his ways. I also taught him to tell himself to say ' It's ok, everything is alright' and he will tap his chest. or we will count 1-10 and take a deep breath together. or I will just distract him with other things. however, I feel it's necessary to identify his feelings and talk about it. after that, when he has forgotten about it, I will ask him about it during dinner, or before bedtime, we will chat about the incident. and he remembers. toddler needs constant reminders, and when they do remember, praise them, give them a hug or a kiss and tell them you are proud of them.

Read more