Hi Breastfeeding mummies, any food that you avoid during breastfeeding? My mum disallows me to have spicy food, bread (due to containing yeast), yellow noodles, white vegetables like cabbage (due to cooling). Any advise?

5 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Generally, breastfeeding mommies will avoid or limit their intake of caffeine, alcohol and seafood (with high mercury). Some have been known to limit chocolates, sugary treats and junk food. I wouldn't avoid spicy food, maybe limit my intake because there are lots of mothers from countries who eat spicy foods on a daily basis and with no problems. I read that herbs like peppermint and sage should be limited or avoided because they can contribute to a decrease milk supply, but usually only when ingested in large doses.

Read more
8y trước

noted. thanks!

Generally you can eat anything but in moderation but like Idza mentioned, it will be better to limit alcohol, seafood or food that baby is allergic to. I don't see a need to avoid any food if there is no particular reason. In fact, I eat everything! Spicy, caffeine, seafood and more as baby is okay. Normally I will monitor baby if I eat something new to see if there is any allergic reactions. But you can avoid broccoli, onion, cabbage and cauliflower as they may cause gas in some babies.

Read more
8y trước

Yes! Same for me but will have to eliminate it for awhile until baby is slightly older say 4-5 months old then you can resume eating moderately!

For me I avoid milk and egg as my baby allergic to it. But I will try to eat it again every two weeks to see have she outgrown the allergy.I do avoid spicy food and seafood except fish and prawn. And I avoid cabbage too as it can cause the milk supply to drop also broccoli too as its gassy hehe...

8y trước

cabbage caused milk supply drop? argghh

Promo terbesar expert care sudah dimulai, diskon hingga Rp.100.000 sedang berlangsung di shopee, ada juga voucher diskon 100% alias gratis bagi bunda yang beruntung. Buruan cek di https://shope.ee/9UfEMMqqTg (id-4778)

okay. another few months to go! buck up mummies