For stay at home working moms, how do you keep your toddlers busy while you work and no one is available to look after them?

37 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

I am a work from home mum. My daughter is very hyper. When she was about 18 months, Normally while I am doing housework I will put her in her own room which is babyproof. Give her different toys each day to play. She love to build things so I have different types of building blocks, Lego duplo , etc. now she is 3, I let her help me with housework. She love to dust and wipe. Surprisedly she does a good job. Sometimes I will let her watch tv or give her something to draw or paint. So really depends on your kids character.

Read more

My college friend who is working at home always make it a point to do her online job in certain areas in their home where she could see her toddler all the time. Oftentimes, whenever I visit her, her toddler is inside his crib (his crib is still big enough to be his play area) so that she can monitor him everytime. She knows what types of toys are in the crib so she is assured non of those can cause choking. She also plays music that her toddler loves listening to.

Read more

My 2 toddlers used to stay in the play yard while I am working from home however I noticed that it's becoming smaller for them. Recently, we customized a more spacious play yard where they can move freely and put as much toys as they want. Just make sure there no sharp and poisonous objects inside. Also, at least we know they're safe because they can't go just anywhere. Here's a photo of their original play yard before we customized it to become bigger.

Read more
Post reply image

I put him in a large box and give him crayons. I also make him do shuttle runs and "compete" with the dog. If your kid loves looking at photos of themselves you can also print albums and get him/her to find all the pictures of himself (or grandparents or whoever) and get him to tell you stories of the event. Books and busy boards work well too. If I'm desperate and work is urgent then TV it is but I limit to an hour.

Read more

I let my lo play with my baking set like spatula and a bowl. He will put his fruits and vegetables toys to cook as well. Sometimes I will have him involved in my baking, let him beat the eggs. He is very happy that he can work together with me. Recently I made a D.I.Y Play doh for him to play around which helps on his creativity and art works while I'm working next to him.

Read more
8y trước

Sure, I follow the recipe in this video. It is easy and safe for the kids! https://youtu.be/8WPqVbY4cpQ Hope your kids will love it too!

Toddlers are like l explorerss and they have short attention span. We need to keep an eye on them. For me, I will put them in the baby cot for a short period of time if I'm busy like cooking. If writing and typing are needed, maybe get some snacks for them to eat or drawings. of course there will be messy after that. Hope these help.

Read more

I work after breakfast when they are just playing on the floor and watching their favorite movie or YouTube videos. Then when they're napping and another window to work in the afternoon while they're having their afternoon snack and playtime. It helps that my job allows me to work anytime.

8y trước

Since I have two boys, I just let them have their cars, dinosaur, dragon toys out so they can play with whichever one. Their books are also within reach, my youngest likes browsing through them. When they get bored they usually start trying to open closed

I bought open ended toys, those like wooden building blocks and Legos so they could run with their imagination with them. Usually they recreate scenes of movies they just watched or books we've read, or create a totally imagined world. They could play for hours non-stop.

8y trước

Wow! That's nice! How old are your little ones? I used to leave them with their kitchen set but I notice they're growing a bit tired of cooking pretend food and drinking imaginary tea. Haha. I'll definitely try wooden blocks and legos! Thank you!

As babies and toddlers have short attention spans and easily gets bored, we have to introduce options while they are playing. We have options playing with blocks, trucks & trains or dolls, watch educational video for 30 minutes, or do playdoh and puzzles.

I will give them drawing board with color pencils, this can keep them busy for a good 30mins. It will be good if their writing desk is just next to you so you can watch them. As for toys, Lego bricks can let their imagination go wild too!