Postpartum hypertension

Anyone experience high blood pressure after giving birth? During whole pregnancy my blood pressure is normal, no issues with all the tests too. However, after giving birth , while still in the hospital, i started to have high blood pressure.. was told to monitor my bp at home.. i take my bp daily.. some days my bp is normal but some days its high. But im not sure is it the constant anxiety from all the negative thoughs of having high blood or isit really high bp…

1 Reply
 profile icon
Write a reply

Oh dear, I'm sorry to hear you're experiencing this. Postpartum hypertension can indeed be quite concerning and stressful. It’s not uncommon for some women to develop high blood pressure after giving birth, even if their blood pressure was normal throughout their pregnancy. First, it's great that you’re keeping track of your blood pressure at home. Consistent monitoring is crucial. Here are a few things you might want to try: 1. **Stay Calm and Manage Stress**: Anxiety and stress can definitely affect your blood pressure. Practice deep breathing exercises, meditation, or yoga to help keep yourself calm. Having a newborn is already a big change, so it’s important to find some time for yourself to unwind. 2. **Diet and Hydration**: Make sure you’re eating a balanced diet rich in fruits, vegetables, and whole grains. Reducing salt intake can also help manage blood pressure. Staying well-hydrated is equally important. 3. **Physical Activity**: Gentle physical activity, like walking, can help lower blood pressure. However, make sure you consult your doctor before starting any exercise routine postpartum. 4. **Medication**: Follow your doctor's advice on medications. If they’ve prescribed something to help manage your blood pressure, take it as directed. 5. **Regular Check-Ups**: Keep up with your postpartum appointments. Your healthcare provider can offer the best guidance tailored to your situation. 6. **Support System**: Rely on family and friends for support. Sometimes just talking about what you're going through can alleviate some of the stress. You mentioned anxiety about high blood pressure. This is quite common, especially when you’re navigating new motherhood. If the anxiety feels overwhelming, don't hesitate to reach out to a professional who can provide support. If you're breastfeeding and need help with milk production, consider using a breast pump. The [Medela Breast Pump](https://invl.io/cll7h6h) is highly recommended and can be very useful in maintaining milk supply. Take care and remember, you are not alone in this. Many mothers go through similar experiences, and there are always resources and support available to help you through it. https://invl.io/cll6she

Read more