Aaah my 13 month old has taken to playing with his private parts. What's the best way to react?

8 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Your baby's exploration of his body is completely normal at his age. After babies gain control of their hands and limbs, they'll start exploring their bodies. For baby boys, the penis is an interesting and convenient body part to reach for. If you are really uncomfortable, give him a toy to play with and this will usually direct his attention elsewhere. When your son is old enough, tell him when it is or when it is not appropriate to touch himself. Most children give up exploring when they go to school.

Read more

there is no need to react. for your baby, playing with the private part is as regular as playing with his hands or legs and any other part of the body. it is us adults who think it is something embarassing or something that needs to be taken care of. let your baby explore his body and soon he will get over it. just make sure he always wears his pants especially when anyone else is around.

Read more

It's perfectly normal for toddlers to do this since they're naturally curious. They don't associate this with anything sexual yet so it's fine. I agree with Idza, distract him with a more interesting toy to play with. And when he gets older take time to talk to him when he's ready.

It is completely normal for your baby to do that. At that age they have just begun to control their hands and as a result they try to grad, hold or play with anything in their reach. Don't pay too much attention to it. It is a phase that they will get over.

Thành viên VIP

I still haven't had child yet, but i think toddler have no idea what is bad and what is good. If i were you, what i need to do are give him toys to distract him from play with his penis and make sure to cover his penis properly.

Yep, I wouldn't worry about it too much either. No need for any drastic intervention - he will get over it.

It's probably just a phase. Nothing to be too worried about.

thanks